About Us

Twin Oaks Tavern, in the Bear’s Den Historic District, is one of the many stone houses that was built on the mountain between 1890 and 1920. At that time, there were
several inns around Bluemont, including a large hotel at Bear’s Den on Blue Ridge Mountain Road.

The attraction to the area for city dwellers was the 5-10 degrees lower temperature on the mountain during the summer. Residents from Washington would take the train to Bluemont and be driven by horse and buggy to the inn or hotel of their choice. Later, they would drive out from the city (see the directions suggested in the 1931 Washington Post ad on this page). Twin Oaks operated as an inn until the 1950’s.

Before the Evers bought Twin Oaks in 1998, it had been devastated from a fire and the grounds were littered with dilapidated outbuildings, chain link fencing and poison ivy. They spent a year renovating the house and clearing and landscaping the grounds.

The Evers family caught vineyard fever when traveling through France, Italy, Germany and Croatia, and in 1999 they decided to plant Chardonnay and Cabernet Franc grapes on the hillside at Twin Oaks. Since their first harvest in 2002, Donna Evers has been the winemaker, and in 2008 the first two wines were offered to the public: Chardonnay and Raven Rocks Red. In keeping with family traditions, the Twin Oaks Vineyard and cellar operation are managed by Donna’s grandson, Clay McFarren.

Donna Evers and her family are happy to share their beautiful site with visitors and wine enthusiasts. Enjoy the deck, the views, the rustic tasting room, and our wonderful wines.

Clay and Donna in front of the Cite du Vin, in Bordeaux France